SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
......To say that the job is made dangerous and a person is forced to do it because he has no other choices is simply naive. Everybody gets to choose where they do not want to work.
Naive? Really? I've played sports at the top of my game. College Division 1 linebacker. I may know the mentality better than you give me credit for. You play hurt, you play dangerously, you do what you're told or you don't get to play. They aren't conscious go-nogo decisions. If you want to play, you take whatever opportunity you get.

Quote:
So a world-class yacht crew refused to sail on a perceived death-trap and from then on is unemployable? Yeah right.
As has been so common for the opposing view, that is a complete exaggeration of my point. I never said they wouldn't get any other job, I said they were not going to be asked to crew on an AC boat again. For most, the opportunity doesn't come up multiple times, its one and done. Take it or leave it. I propose that the lure of having your one shot takes the decision away.

Quote:
These boys race these boats because they wouldn't want it any other way.
Ironically, we seem to agree, but can't do the rest of the math together. You are recognizing that the crews have an insatiable itch that must be scratched. Therefore, the owners can make those boats nearly as dangerous as they like and these crews will say yes, its what they do. Its not a choice. We're so close to being on the same page.

Let me take one more analogous shot at this (a night's sleep and cup of espresso, must have me delusional to want to keep going and think anyone is ever going to change their mind ). I never met a D-1 quarterback that wouldn't sell his mother to get a shot at the NFL. Same mentality as these AC crew members. It wouldn't matter what rules, what equipment, who or where they were playing. They would take it. Turn one opportunity down and the NFL isn't going to call again. They would still be employable elsewhere, as coaches, maybe to play in the CFL, or whatever.

However, if you asked the quarterbacks themselves if they would like tougher rules on roughing the QB, better equipment, rules that slowed guys like me down, they sure would. But, they don't get to choose. With or without a safer environment, they believe they have to take the job as is. It's not because that's the way they choose for it to be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook