SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Ovni 52

The new OVNI 52 is on the water. The boat is impressive and was already sail tested by Voile Magazine. They were impressed. This boat is the first of a new line called Evolution that was really needed face to the more modern aluminium boats produced by Boreal and Allures. Well, not anymore, this boat is really a breakthrough in what regards centerboarders design. I am very curious in what regards sailors acceptance.

They don't say the ballast and the centerboard has really a small surface, kind of a dagger boar really, but a deep one. The design is from Marc Lombard and is strongly influenced by the hulls of solo racers. It looks like a big and more elegant Figaro II.

I can't wait till I have reliable reports about sail performance of this boat, specially upwind. I have no doubt that Marc Lombard knows what is doing but it is absolutely amazing that such a small area centerboard can be enough to track the boat upwind. The idea that you need a keel with a considerable lateral area is obviously wrong. On the Open60 when the keels are canted they track upwind also on a very narrow daggerboard. Marc Lombard is using his vast experience designing that kind of boats and the hydrodynamic knowledge that he acquired to use it on another type of boats.

This is one of the most innovative boats around, it looks like a Cigale with a centerboard/dagger board.

The interior seems to be great and the big dingy garage is one of the most interesting features. Many boats of this size can carry a small dingy, the Bavaria 56, only if it is folded. This one can carry a BIG dingy fully inflated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 05-17-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook