SailNet Community - View Single Post - help with a new potential sailor
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: help with a new potential sailor

James,
I am hearing impaired. For daysailing, and maybe even some coastal cruising, you might be able to get away with being deaf. But trying to live "at sea" is a whole different beast than living on land. If you are talking about living aboard a boat at a dock/slip/marina, that might work. But there are a lot of things onboard a sailboat that require your sight, and I just can't imagine that there are appropriate aids to help overcome not being able to see them.

What would you do in case of a collision, especially if you were alone? How would you check proper sail trim? What happens when you break your leg because the roll of paper towels fell off the holder in the middle of the night and you just slipped and fell on it? Oh, and you're a 2 hour sail offshore. And there's a horrible storm.

I can appreciate your desire to want to get away, but your plan isn't something you can just jump into, given the limitations you face. If you're going to do it, you'll have to do it step-by-step, or you'll wind up severely injuring or killing yourself. If you're serious, I know there are programs for people who have certain kinds of diabilities where they will take you out sailing and even teach you to sail. Start there, see what you think, and more importantly, see if you can handle the boat essentially on your own. If you can, then that's a great sign, and you'll have proven me wrong, and this will be one of those rare times when I'll be very happy to have been proven wrong.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook