SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mantus Anchors NEWS: anchor sizing tool
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Mantus Anchors NEWS: anchor sizing tool

Marty,

Your post reminds me about the anchor setup on my old boat. It was a 10K 31ft boat and it had a 7.5kg genuine Bruce aboard, but at the bow it had this ridiculous 45lb home made stainless danforth thing.

I found a well-worn, old tattered copy of the original Bruce anchor sizing guide. What a joke! 7.5kg was what was recommended for my boat, and I'm "guessing" that after some bad experiences the owner got some religion had had the monster anchor welded up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a (genuine, not knock off) Bruce fan, but their sizing chart may be part of why they have always done so poorly in tests and their reputation was so mixed among cruisers. It's a tough call for an anchor manufacturer to decide if they want to look good on paper (ie cheaper, lighter, etc) or if they want to be more conservative and probably build a better reputation over time.

Here is a link to a reproduction of what I believe is the original Bruce anchor chart.
The Bruce sizing guide for Captain Aaron's inflatable tender
25ft boat with a 4lb primary anchor? *Ummm.... No
60ft 50,000lb boat with a 44lb anchor? *Ummm.... No.*

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook