SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Good example. So, why can't AC do something to limit its risk?
I think this is the crux of the debate. The definition of risk in racing is completely different than the definition in virtually any other endeavor.

Racing of this kind is really ONLY ABOUT MANAGING EXTREMELY HIGH RISK. And everyone involved knows that.

This level of risk has been inherent in the RTW ocean races for a long time. But it's completely new to the historically "gentlemanly" AC. AND it's completely counter to virtually every norm in the broader understanding of "prudent seamanship". I think this is the real disconnect.

IT'S LITERALLY ABOUT PUSHING MAN AND MACHINE TO THE POINT OF FAILURE. Period.

So, if we accept the fact that EXTREMELY HIGH RISK is inherent in the endeavor, it becomes a very different conversation.

The AC has finally become all about real racing. That's a good thing in my book.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook