Re: pvc "lumber"
I'm interested to hear more.
I just recently made a couple things out of Azek.
1) I thought it is paintable. Azek says this:
"• AZEK Trim does not require paint for protection, but accepts and holds paint very well.
• If you choose to paint use a 100% acrylic latex paint with colors having a Light Reflective Value (LRV) of 55 or higher.
• For darker colors (LRV of 54 or lower), paints specifically designed for use on vinyl/pvc products such as, but not limited to, Sherwin-Williams VinylSafe™ coatings. These paints/coatings are designed to reduce excessive heat gain."
2) It is claimed to be UV resistant and is designed to be used as unpainted exterior trim on houses. This is comparable to outdoor use on a boat.
3) I couldn't find weight info in a short search but I don't think it's heavier. I do think it's much less stiff than wood. In any structural application I would expect you to need much for PVC lumber than actual wood. But in an application as a spacer for a hatch that wouldn't apply.
Last edited by asdf38; 05-17-2013 at 05:00 PM.