SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best line for jib sheets
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Best line for jib sheets

9/16" is heavy and will weigh down your sail's clew in light winds. However that handles nicely on the winch.

I'd probably size down a bit. More money on line generally buys less stretch and sometimes lighter weight. Less stretch isn't a major issue for jib sheets, they see the highest loads when close hauled and then the working length of the line is so short that stretch isn't much of an issue. From that point of view using New England Ropes Sta-Set or Samson XLS is fine. I don't think there is much benefit to moving up a level to Sta-Set X or XLS Extra, but it also isn't that much more money.

Furling lines also don't need to be high tech.

When you start changing out halyards, main sheets and reefing lines you'll find benefit in the high tech low stretch lines.

I made some high tech jib sheets for my Pearson which are Samson Amsteel Blue spliced into Sta-Set X. The transition between the two happens right where the sheet ends up on the winch when close hauled. This is complete overkill on a cruising boat, but does make for a lighter sheet that doesn't weigh down the sail clew too much. This same splice works very nicely for halyards and reefing lines.