SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mantus Anchors NEWS: anchor sizing tool
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Mantus Anchors NEWS: anchor sizing tool

Med,

What anchor one uses etc, should and would depend upon the soil under you, type of wind, probably add in some wave and current action......wt and length of chain can also be dependent too.

Not sure if you get or can find the latest "pacific Yachting" out of BC. In it was an article comparing a rope/chain rode to an all chain in lower water depths. Under 30' IIRC. It pointed out a rope/chain with 7-1 will almost ALWAYS do better than an all chain with the recomended 4 or 5-1. As in this example, hurricane force winds. the rope/chain will have a lower pull angle on the anchor, vs the all chain. Mainly due to both options will have almost no rode on the ground, with a direct pull on the anchor itself.

It also pointed out IIRC, that for around here, bruc/plow/spade style anchors seem to work better over danforths.

Lewmar IIRC uses about one anchor size heavier than that bruce chart IIRC. Not sure what the total difference is between a lewmar and a bruce per say. If I do go heavier for a cruise anchor, not sure if I would stick to a bruce/claw style, or maybe go with a fast set or the mantus. The mantus being as it woudl break down, might be a better option, keep my fast stet on the bow for 90% of my sailing needs, and IF and WHEN I find I need to anchor overnight, have the heavier one to pull out of the bildge with its longer chain, heavier rode etc. I've been out as RC a couple of times with the fast set, no issues in a sandy/clay soil holding in upwards of 15 knots. typically 8-12! some current.....

Marty