SailNet Community - View Single Post - Too big for a sunfish?
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Too big for a sunfish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibaba View Post
Q.. I noticed a sunfish in my neigborhood. Siiting outside upside down for about 10 years now. i met the owner, now a 30 ` motorboater, He maybe interested in getting rid of it,
There is no sail, no rudder, and no centerboard,,nothiing , Just a bare hull.. No trailrer..What should I offer this guy,
Where can I get parts, ..Sails, rudder, centerboard. I can make a trailor.
Being out in the sun for years, possibe deterioration of the Hull..

I am 170 lbs, 5`10' 62 years old, When I looked up sunfish, they clAim it will plane. I wanted to get another windsurfer, but dont enjoy standiing up All day just how fast is a subfish, Can I cross lake Erie safely (30 miles). Erie to Long point.?? (maybe) could I buy a custom Sail, maybe a roller furler to reef it down in heavy winds..

Thanks for any replys..
A sunfish hull without any hardware is worth almost nothing. If it's waterlogged, it may be worth less than nothing. (You can tell by its weight, but I don't know the weight spec for a Sunfish.) Your best opportunity to find a good set of used parts would probably be with another hull.

I'd suggest shopping around for a used one in sail-away condition before haggling with a neighbor over how much his yard waste is worth. If you get lucky and find a full set of hardware with no hull, then maybe you should talk to the guy about his hull.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook