SailNet Community - View Single Post - Too big for a sunfish?
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Too big for a sunfish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Yes, there is a 1.5' or 2" webbing strap down the center of the cockpit for exactly that purpose. I put my feet under it whenever I want to hike out.

I'm not looking to create a Sunfish vs. Phantom debate. There is no debate that Sunfish was vastly more popular than the Phantom. Sunfish was the first one out of the blocks, and the benchmark against which all the imitators are compared, and the boat that you must have if you want to be in the one-design racing class. Vanguard/Laser has kept the Sunfish in production, and the Phantom is still made as the Pointer 14. So they're both good boats.

Most early Sunfishes have a little more headroom under the boom. The Phantom has a little more sail area, but it comes at the expense of a lower boom.
@TakeFive (from 3 weeks ago)
I'm not looking for a debate about Sunfish vs. similar models either. I do find the small differences interesting.

@alibaba
Roller furling on a Sunfish?
You could however set up a Sunfish type hull with other sailing rigs: gaff, gunther, Marconi/sloop (main sail only). Some of these might be easier to reef than the Lateen rig it is normally sailed with.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook