SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another America’s Cup entry destroyed
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Re: Another America’s Cup entry destroyed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
The kids say that with or without official support they are going to race!!!!

"They want their dream and don't want to give up: After the official withdrawal of their team from the Youth America's Cup, the young German sailing team with skipper Philipp Buhl Sonthofen and Erik Heil from Berlin wants to achieve participation even without support.. ... ... "We want to try it ourselves," said the 23-year-old Laser European Champions Buhl, "we got a chance to participate in the America's Cup, and that may be a chance in a lifetime. We want to fight for it. We've come this far and want to go till the finish. We believe that sailing on the smaller catamarans is far less risky than the AC-72 boats. "

http://www.yacht.de/sport/news/im-al...rs/a80195.html

Regards

Paulo
I think the last line about the safety of the smaller boats is for the sake of the crew's mothers. My guess is the sailing youth would be making up stories of safety, holding car washes and bake sales if that is what it took to race the AC105s no matter what the danger.

The question is how many sailors in the current AC race would give up the opportunity to participate for a different sailing job that was safe, and paid the same as the AC? My guess is very few.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook