SailNet Community - View Single Post - I can't heave to
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
I can't heave to

I've got to be able to find some way to let go of the tiller so I'm hoping to learn to heave to but my boat isn't cooperating.

I've only been able to practice in light wind but twice what happens is once the jib becomes backwinded it sends the boat in a circle. So I start the tack and the boat spins completely around. The other time it laid with the wond directly abeam.

It's the biggest problem I'm having out here is that I have to hold the tiller when sailing at all times. If I have to get sunglasses forgotten below or something I have 10 seconds or I'm gybing. It's weird. My other boats didn't do this. If I let I of the tiller. Round up until the sails luff and it would stay that way, in irons if you will indefinitely. Not this boat. Or at least not in these prevailing conditions which are super light wind and currents. I will say that my one day to have real wind I sailed up wind with the tiller lashed for 20 minutes. So I don't know if it was because it was upwind or the higher winds but I don't really h e the luxury of finding out since most days I'm lucky to see 5 mph.

I've just got to find a way to let the tiller go in these conditions. It's a safety issue really. I have to take down the jib and I'm accidental gybing while I do it. Also long safety lines I have to go to the bathroom an I'm gybing doing that. I'm ping to get killed trying to take a leak off the back with the boat out of control.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook