SailNet Community - View Single Post - VHF Protocol
Thread: VHF Protocol
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: VHF Protocol

"I know that 60% of Americans can't name one Supreme Court justice, but you really don't think they can handle this?"
I don't think it, I know it. Worked with communications and "communicatees" for too long.
"Why is that? It's not macho to say Romeo?" A big part of the problem is that the ITU is for "furriners". Here in the US the main "official" use of radio, outside of the airlines, is by cops and firemen, and THEIR idiosynchratic phonetics use "common" names like Bob, David, Edward Frank Mary Robert.
So the public has been trained (by Hollywood or whatever else they heard) to a local alphabet which is almost always in conflict with the ITU. And The Blue Wall refuses to shift to the ITU.
Remember, this is the same public that thinks texting while drunk driving is an acceptable standard of operation. They're just not going to Kaybeck Zooloo at you.

What did Mark Twain say about teaching a pig to play the piano? All you're going to do, is upset the pig?

Actually, since most boaters KNOW the boat name, and don't know the ITU, everyone remains in conformance with the National Incident Management System (NIMS) and the Incident Command System (ICS) which are the US standards for emergency operations, by "avoiding the use of jargon" which is what the ITU phonetics can be. NIMS trumps ITU.

And that USCG reference to transmitting a distress alarm on 2182? Now that's a crime, since all official stations were told to stop monitoring it some years ago. The use of 2182 has been formally obsoleted and ended. Internationally.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hellosailor For This Useful Post:
bljones (05-21-2013), L124C (05-21-2013)