SailNet Community - View Single Post - Who sells marine plywood?
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Who sells marine plywood?

Jim,
Here're a couple of local options for you.

South Jersey Lumberman's Mays Landing - They're a good source for anything marine as they've supplied south Jersey builders like Viking for years. They stock marine ply, teak and all kinds of pre-milled teak and hardwood mouldings, fiddles, etc.

Mr. Roberts Lumber in Barrington NJ may have it, if not they can order it for you. They'll be a bit pricier than South Jersey Lumberman's but when you factor in the cost of gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
I do wood turning and other woodwork as a hobby. That would be a bad place for me to go.
Denise, Jim, if you're into turning then you both know about Penn State Industries in Northeast Philly. You can find some interesting turning blanks out back, sold by the pound at their place and lots of turning tools, kits, chucks, etc.

But have you checked out Hearne Hardwoods in Oxford PA (off Rt 1 south of Kennett Square).

This is a wood junkies paradise. They usually have about 3 million board feet on hand (not a typo). Rick stocks stuff that you've only seen in books. They have a 67" band saw and an 84" inch hydraulic chain saw mill! You can imagine their gnarly off cuts are great turning pieces. And you can find any exotic wood you've ever heard of at great prices. They're especially good with cherry and figured cherry.

"Hi my name is Jim and I have a wood shop problem..."

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook