SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013

bjung is on a distinguished road
Re: Paul Bieker and the Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Regarding the Seascape 27 I heard that the boat performed normally on the tests but that is a category that should be subdivided: they call it special boats and in special boats enters everything that is not a cruising sailboat: Day sailers, race boats, week-end cruisers. It does not make sense. How can a race boat like the J70 that won that category this year, be compared with a fast week end cruiser like the Seascape 27?

That was a very confusing category with two boats nominated missing the rendez vous (A27 and Code 0) and one nominated in substitution winning the contest (J70). Besides all boats in the contest being great sailing boats even in what regards winning what they said makes not a lot of sense to me:

"Each category featured some exciting matches. The B/One and the J/70 were locked in a tight battle, with the Farr-designed Bavaria being mostly on the winning end in light air under 8 knots. But on tight reaches when the breeze was up, the J/70 pulled even or ahead."

Read more: Boats.com Blog » Blog Archive European Yacht of the Year Awards 2013: The Candidates | Boats.com Blog

For what they say it was a close match. Being the Bavaria One a boat that costs 1/3 less than the J70 how it can be explained that the trophy was delivered to the J70?

Regards

Paulo
I agree about the odd class the Seascape was in, but in the end three pretty similar boats were compared. I would have also thought, that the Seascape could give both the J/70 and the B/one a run for their money. But no mention of performance!?!? B/one and J head to head, where was the Seascape?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook