SailNet Community - View Single Post - VHF Protocol
Thread: VHF Protocol
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Re: VHF Protocol

I'm retired from the Army Signal Corps and have used the phoenetic alphabet all my adult life, including with my wife when needed. Recently I was driving her car and the sepentine belt exploded leaving me stranded at rush hour on one of the busiest highways in San Antonio between two of the busiest off ramps in the whole city (the airport and I410) . Needless to say the noise level was deafening. I called her to arrange a tow with the insurance company and when she called back to give me the name and number of the tow, I could barely hear her over the traffic noise. When I asked her to repeat something, her first effort was to speak more loudly thereby overmodulating the phone resulting in garbage on my end. When she resorted to spelling, her phoenetic alphabet was like something from a montessori preschool song. She made cees sound like tees and gees sound like vees.
I think this is a good example of what might occur during a real live Mayday call. At least she can say the name of our boat and maybe be able to get the lat/long off the gps, but who knows? Excitement and emotion certainly clouds the airwaves.
Will be nice when DSC is the norm.
Also, I think the CG includes all the items it would be nice to know, but if some are left out they will surely try to locate you and send whatever assistance they deem appropriate.
John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to ccriders For This Useful Post:
L124C (05-21-2013)