SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where are the younger people?
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are the younger people?

^ well, it does happen all the time around here. It happened twice in my tiny marina in the last two months- and my problem was I wasn't standing there with cash when the seller made it known he wanted to sell.

Now, having said that, there are tons of derelict boats that could probably be had for the asking, but I do mean 'derelicts' and I am not looking for a life-consuming project boat. There's a difference between elbow grease and "damned near starting from scratch" with a boat. All deals are not good deals. But Travelin Easy's point is valid. Another person's threshold for "elbow grease" may be vastly different from mine. If I was retired and basically wanted a hull and mast to make a project out of, I could probably turn down one free boat after another until I found the one I wanted to start rebuilding.

But the two that just sold for peanuts were great boats that I had no idea the owners wanted to sell. I'm talking about boats you can throw the lines off of and go sail it right now. A 30-footer went for about $3k and the first person it was offered to bought it. Never was a For Sale sign even placed on the boat.

Word of mouth is king. I have learned my lesson. Now I just make sure to let people know I'm looking for just such a deal and to call me if they hear something.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook