SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
post #812 of Old 05-18-2013
PCP

Re: Full or fin keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Don't see anything about CFD Paulo. How are you certain CFD was used? Can you provide a CFD study that has been published? I'd like to see that for my own education. I wouldn't make the automatic assumption that CFD is being used for every new keel you see from a major design office.

I understand the theory behind the tandem keel. As I said it is far from a new keel geometry. I don't doubt that it works, to some degree. But the real appeal may be more for marketing. Seems like you bought it.
I don't know of any major NA cabinet that does not use CFD in what regards hull, keel and rudder design.

I am not defending tandem keels against other solutions for swallow draft. I am only saying that it is still a contemporary solution in a sense that it continues to be a valuable option.

Personally I think that the best contemporary solution for a shallow draft are swinging keels. Those are the only ones that manage the miracle of offering a similar tracking upwind, a slightly lower weight for the same RM at the cost of a slightly bigger draft without having a big intrusion on the interior habitability. The only real problem is that they increase the boat price and need some maintenance.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome