SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best line for jib sheets
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013

keepsailin is on a distinguished road
Re: Best line for jib sheets

I really appreciate all of your comments! Thanks for taking the time. Also, there were a lot of good points made which gave me much to consider in selecting. I'm cruising these days and so racing issues were left largely out other than finding them interesting that some of you guys are splicing two different line types on jib sheets...wow! I really don't miss racing. It reminds me of the days when the skipper I was crewing for made us empty our pockets (wallets and all) before getting aboard for a race!

I decided to stay with the largest line which is rated for my self-tailing winches - 9/16 - mainly because I am interested in comfort particularly in heavier winds in which I tend to enjoying sailing. I tried to research each of the brands mentioned as well as a few others I ran across. I am convinced there are a lot of good options out there. FWIW - I settled on Cajun Rope's XLE which seems to have highly similar specs to Samson's XLS and New England's Sta Set. And, for the purposes of a cruiser, I think it should work well. Plus, the Cajun is priced better which is nice. I actually decided to change out the jib sheets, traveler lines, and roller furling line, all with the same XLE line type. I did use starboard and port color flecks and a bright blue furling line. Thanks again for helping out!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook