SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where are the younger people?
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are the younger people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
How many of them do you want, and how hard are you willing to work? Until this spring there were at least 4 30 to 32 footers at my marina, and the marina is fairly small. Those boats sat there for a decade and now they've been cut up and in a landfill. One had a huge wasp nest in the cabin, and some of the others had cabins filled with nearly new sails and gear. All of that stuff went on Ebay and Craig's List last winter, and the boats were stripped of all hardware, then cut up with chain saws and placed in dump trucks. The cost to the marina to get rid of them was more than $1,000 each.

If you get to this part of the world, check with the Chesapeake Bay Foundation's Living Classrooms division in Baltimore. A couple years ago they had a dozen boats they were selling for $2,000 to $3,500, some of which were in excellent condition.

Gary
I will certainly keep that in mind, that said, it is likely that when the time comes we will be looking for a good deal on something a bit more "turn-key" cruising ready (with the realization that NO boat is truly "turn key"). Partially because I would rather pay 50 cents on the dollar for someone else's work and for equipment than have to totally refit a $3000 boat with $50,000 worth of equipment! That, and I would rather get "out there" sooner once the time comes than be sitting on shore rebuilding a boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook