SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where are the younger people?
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are the younger people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradhamlet View Post
I'm 42 and had a young Coast Guard maybe 20-22 ask me while they were doing a safety inspection ask me what I do out there? What do you do out on the ocean when sailing? I was a little struck by the question, humm I sail. The whole CG crew all under 30 just looked at me with this deer in the headlights look like why? I couldn't get over it myself for the rest of the day. And when I do take friends out for day sails they like it but very few ask to go out again.(that just might be me) We are different. Sailing is different. I don't know why the CG crew had a hard time understanding it, they are ocean people right? Any way,I don't know why there are so few young people out there but the people who I run into are some of the most interesting people I know.

Brad
Lancer 36

+1. Interesting post Brad. It is difficult to explain what we get out of sailing that makes the expense, time and effort worth it. What do you do when you are out there sailing??? That's amazing.....we are different, for sure. All week I work in an office, with politics, aggravation, deadlines, ... I sit in traffic jams, curse the world. Then - on the boat those things seem unimportant and its almost like I become Sal Paradise again, I come back to being myself when I sail.

Sal Paradise

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 05-19-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Sal Paradise For This Useful Post:
Bradhamlet (05-20-2013)