SailNet Community - View Single Post - Too big for a sunfish?
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road
Re: Too big for a sunfish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibaba View Post
Q.. I noticed a sunfish in my neigborhood. Siiting outside upside down for about 10 years now. i met the owner, now a 30 ` motorboater, He maybe interested in getting rid of it,
There is no sail, no rudder, and no centerboard,,nothiing , Just a bare hull.. No trailrer..What should I offer this guy,
Where can I get parts, ..Sails, rudder, centerboard. I can make a trailor.
Being out in the sun for years, possibe deterioration of the Hull..

I am 170 lbs, 5`10' 62 years old, When I looked up sunfish, they clAim it will plane. I wanted to get another windsurfer, but dont enjoy standiing up All day just how fast is a subfish, Can I cross lake Erie safely (30 miles). Erie to Long point.?? (maybe) could I buy a custom Sail, maybe a roller furler to reef it down in heavy winds..

Thanks for any replys..
lol I will bite. A man has made the swim across Lake Erie. Men swim the English Channel. So go for it. Safe is an OPINON and the ability to CHANGE. Lets say you have the best wind and weather ever. You made 5 miles per hour. You have six hours in a wet boat. I would look for a lot more time on the Lake, most trips take more time. I would plan for 12/30 hours. If you use a Sunfish. At 62 years old you could do this with a plan. You lived long enough take a chance Columbus did. The southern ocean has been crossed in a 21' boat
It is the largest fleet or class boat in the world. Parts can be found all over the net. Pros even race them. This must say something about how good this boat is.
If you can make the trailer you can make all the parts and the boat. Plan and go for it.
Have fun, Lou
PS Reef ? just shift your weight. The boat will come back up. Tie the mast to the boat and the center board also. If you turtle in some white caps you will not lose them. The center board is very good at staying in place. The mast is the big deal so be sure to secure it. This has helped me. I did wish I had a cam cleat in some of the wind and surf. It is the most fun you can have on a small boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook