SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Horror Story
Thread: My Horror Story
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013
Retired Naval Architect

Roger Long is on a distinguished road
Re: My Horror Story

You are doing just fine for your level of experience. Knowledge comes from experience. Mistakes are the raw material for experience.

The knowledge you have now is that you have zero business attempting an 80 mile outside solo passage and then trying to navigate an inlet that may be breaking just outside the channel, or even in it, by the time you get there.

Your engine has 85% of the power, based on displacement to horsepower ratio, of what I use in cruise. You should be getting better performance. Something is wrong, possibly the wrong prop. Have you checked to be sure the prop isn't fouled or covered with barnacles?

A diesel that is running away is very dangerous. You must find the cause before proceeding. Yanmars are very good engines. Unless it is worn out, it should be possible to make that engine right.

Find a place to keep the boat for a while there in JAX and get the engine and centerboard straightened out. Then go down the ditch until you have more experience. If you can't afford to do that, you probably can't afford all the other stuff that lies ahead of you as a boat owner. Sell it or, if necessary, give it away, and chalk it up to experience.

Get TowboatUS towing insurance. It will be the best $125 you ever spend. I even carry it with nearly half a century of sailing and cruising experience and four ICW transits. It's saved me thousands of dollars.

Last edited by Roger Long; 05-19-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook