SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Horror Story
Thread: My Horror Story
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: My Horror Story

wow.. what a horror story! but you did survive! Sailing doesn't seem to be the problem. Negotiating channels, bridges, current, tides and flow do seem to be a problem. First suggestion, don't try to do what others are doing. Depth finder is a must, charts also, gps too, if affordable. Local knowledge can be a big help because charts are not always up to date. Bridges create their own wind anomalies, even small bridges. slack tide is always a good time to do things. Don't know about your area, but winds die down around sunset here, also a good time to negotiate a bridge.

Knowing about range makers, buoys, and channels are important on rivers too.
Timing that is right for you and your boat is more important then just going from point a to b. also. Like here where I live. To get to the C &D canal area on the upper part of Delaware Bay, I have leave my YC 2 hrs before high tide, ride the tide all the way down river and with luck be at the C&D at dead low tide and ride the upcoming tide into the canal. (I've yet to make it on time LOL and wind up dilly dallying) One bridge is 47ft I always call and tell them I'm at 50ft and not taking any chances and will wait if necessary, they always lift the bridge.

Your boats sluggishness seems to say it's bottom is badly fouled. When motoring into strong current if you motor diagonal to the flow, the current will actually help your boat when going forward. Using current instead of fighting it is always best

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook