SailNet Community - View Single Post - Toe rail refinish/rebed 1987 pearson
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013

Sabur is on a distinguished road
Re: Toe rail refinish/rebed 1987 pearson

Yes, on my boat the core extended all along the toe rail. I redrilled out every deck/flange bolt hole and used a dremel tool to grind out the core on every one. The wood I ground out was of a fine and of course "moist" texture and appeared to be balsa to me.

An interesting note: What did you mean by a "bump up" in the deck. There are two other Pearsons at my marina; a 1986 28 ft and a 1986 36 ft. I noticed that these two boats have their teak rails on a raised fiberglass "coaming". Water would have to "run uphill" to get underneath the teak rails. My deck (a 1987) does not have this feature. Water can run right under the rails and into the bolt holes.

I'm guessing that this might have been done to save on costs and perhaps they put some bedding on the bottom of the teak rails but it wore off fairly quickly and 1st owners in the 80's simply weren't aware of this back then.

What year is your boat and do you have the "coaming" feature?

I just called D&R Marine about the plastic shield strip and they ran out a while ago. Perhaps in a year or two we can just go to a shop and they can 3d print it! Seems like a perfect 3d printing application.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook