SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Horror Story
Thread: My Horror Story
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: My Horror Story

Hey, you are fine, you are learning the hard way.

As I have stated several times, the success of a voyage is 80% skipper and 20% vessel. The ability of the skipper is 80% common sense, problem solving and judgment, and 20% experience.

As a result, IMHO, roughly 2/3rds of your voyaging success is the gray matter you bring when you step on the boat, life experience and all. You are now improving that part and building up the 20% experience part. It is important to use some of that gray matter in preparation for the trip, making sure you understand the charts, currents and passage you plan to take rather than winging it in the circumstances. It is a good sign that you did not panic and instead solved the problems that arose.

To read the posts on Sailnet, one would think it is all about buying the right boat and the right gear and taking the right series of ASA courses. Wrong. It is the stuff between your ears. Good job for surviving to keep at it!

A great sailor could sail a Catalina 22 across the Atlantic. A poor sailor could sink a Tayana 37 (or an Island Packet....he, he, he) and need to activate his EPIRB 10 miles offshore.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 05-19-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to jameswilson29 For This Useful Post:
Bradhamlet (05-20-2013)