SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fuel tank drain
Thread: Fuel tank drain
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Fuel tank drain

My ages-old 15-gallon stainless fuel tank is installed underneath one of the cockpit seats and is great in all respects other than not having a low-point drain to remove water/condensation build-up over time - even the pick-up tube comes out of the top! The only other downside is that it's fixed neatly under there in such a PITA-to-get-at way I can't even take a decent photo of it - but I can get at the underside easily enough.

I'm guessing that the tank is fairly thin-walled - certainly too thin to tap a thread. The only access to the inside is via the 1-1/2" fill tube.
  1. Can anyone recommend a smallish low-point drain/tap fitting that could be installed with the tank in situ?
  2. Could I get away with simply emptying the tank, drilling a hole and installing some kind of skin fitting in place? Will this seal properly?
  3. Is this even possible to do in situ or would I really have to get the tank out and have something brazed on? Can you braze onto stainless? Is drilling into the bottom of a tank even a good idea?
  4. If not, any better ways to fit a low-point drain??
Thanks,
Cameron

Last edited by Classic30; 05-19-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook