SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fuel tank drain
Thread: Fuel tank drain
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013

SoC is on a distinguished road
Re: Fuel tank drain

Hartley,

You asked a question and i have had experience along the lines of your inquiry. Thanks for your input on my prop qusetion. Well first off i'll explain a little about myself, I'm not very popular on this site because of past posts involving a sensetive issue. That said I do all the maintance and repairs on my boat, a 2007 Tartan 3700, myself.

Ok, so here goes, you want to clean your fuel tank and there is no drain. I did this exact thing last year.Here's the thing, just open it up the through an inspection port and pump it out and do it. I agonized over it for some time but in the end it wasn't that bad. First thing go out and buy yourself the one of those Jabsco oil extraction units that run on 12 volts. You always wanted one anyway for end of season decommisioning. They hold 4 plus gallons. Open your tank and pump it out 4 gallons at a time, takes about an hour. Now you have an empty tank and an open inspection port that you can stick your hand in with paper towels and clean the whole thing out entirerly. When finished you can caulk and seal whole thing up and have a clean tank.

So you still think wouldn't a drain be better? Yah, it would but not in your main cabin. Potential for stink is too great and layout would be a bear. I have the same deal on my Tartan. It may very well be ABYC doesn't allow it and I understand why.

Total project for opening tank, pumping out, cleaning and resealing tank was about 5 hours. You do have to bleed fuel system before you can run boat. I dreaded doing it going in. I wasted some time trying to save money by avoiding buying the extraction system, but in the end I was happy with how it went.

Now i have a nice 12 volt pump extraction sytem for doing all the oil and fluid canges on my boat and that alone was worth it.

SoC
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook