SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where are the younger people?
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013

KBob is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are the younger people?

Hi there sailnet!
I guess I'm one of the younger sailors, though not a cruiser. I'm 35 and have had an 40 year old Albin Vega (27') for 4 years now.

Me and my wife hadn't really sailed at all before I decided to get the boat, but the madness had grown for a while, until late one march evening I informed her I had bought a boat.
Since then we've both taken basic sailing courses and done 2-3 week cruises every summer, and quite a bit of weekend sailing. We both work, and like to spend as much of our nice 4 week summer vacations on the boat with our two cats, sailing up and down (or left and right) the Finnish Gulf -coast.

I would like to take a longer period off and go sailing around europe, but it is kinda hard to achieve, since we have a mortgage etc. Maybe it is a need for security, but when I suggested to the wife that we sell the apartment and go bouncing around for 5 years, I got voted down.

As to the comforts thing. Our boat has no shower, but we do have her equipped with a diesel heater to keep the boat warm and dry if it rains for 3 weeks straight (it certainly seemed like, last summer), a solar panel to keep our phones and other toys charged etc.
The boat is just right for two people (and two felines) to line in for a few weeks.

Well, enough rambling.

Mikko
S/Y Ikiturso
Albin Vega 1005
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook