SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help pinpointing a leak
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013

hillenme is on a distinguished road
Re: Help pinpointing a leak

Installing the bilge pump on Wednesday. Got too busy this weekend. Had a great sail yesterday morning. Still falling in love with this new-to-me boat, even despite this very annoying leak.

I'm going to try tightening the keel boats. I have a freind who has access to a torque wrench, the only problem might be finding an extension to get to the nut in the deepest part of the sump (it's over 2 feet).

At this point I'm a hundred percent positive I've ruled out any tanks, thru hulls, stuffing boxes, etc. I've had two guys that work on sailboats for a living confirm exactly what I thought I was seeing, the water is coming from underneath that stringer. The only way to truly see where it's entering the boat now is too cut some access into that stringer and probably remove the foam that is ruined.

I'm hoping the tightening the bolts works.

BTW, it's hard to see in the pics, but the aft most keel bolt (the only one visible in the zoomed out pic) has about a dozen washers between the nut and the hull of the boat. Why didn't they just use a shorter keel bolt...? Is it possible the threads were damaged at somepoint and the washers were placed there to move the nut above the damaged area so it could still be torqued?

I've also seen opinions vary almost 50/50 all over the web about whether bolts are effectively tightened in the water as opposed to the hard.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook