SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat
View Single Post
post #338 of Old 05-20-2013
Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
Re: Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Having a bit of a hard time following your argument there Wolf. Jeff and I NEVER idscussed "rating" and we never would. It just has zero application to this excersize. As for "planing"? Forget about it. A boat like this can never plane. It might surge a bit on a wave face with the right wind aft of the beam but it will never, ever plane. Even Jeff's latest iteration would never be a "planing" boat. Maybe a brief surge or surf but not planing.

As for what you have now? I'll stick to the facts:
I'd say you have nice old design, pretty sheerline as drawn, narrow and quite full forward with a lot of deadrise and slightly hollow garboards amidships increasing towards the transom. The point of max beam is quite far forward resulting in a very full bow. The full keel has a nice profile to it with plenty of "drag" angle. It's a nice, a very pleasant design.
The bow is not full at the waterline, there is a significant flare (?), look at the waterline measurements. The purpose of this flare it to keep the cockpit dry in heavy seas.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome