SailNet Community - View Single Post - Prop shaft / cutlass bearing overhaul
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013

onestepcsy37 is on a distinguished road
Re: Prop shaft / cutlass bearing overhaul

a few months ago, while i was hauled out, i decided to replace my cutlass bearing.

it had only the slightest amount of play in it, and i guessed it would be good for maybe two more years, but i didn't want to haul out again in two years so i decided to go ahead with replacing it. i'm fairly handy and do much of my own work, but after looking it over i decided to have the really good mechanic in the yard do it for me.

a couple of weeks and $800 later, it's replaced. in order to get the bearing out he had to remove the shaft; which meant he had to remove the prop as well in order to clear the rudder. when he pulled the shaft it was obvious that it had some serious wear grooves in it, so he replaced that too; and the coupler as well, because the four bolt holes that keep it attached to the v-drive were worn out of round. i asked him to replace the packing gland hose too; it's the cheapest part in the whole system. and four new hose clamps. the packing gland was in excellent shape, so that remains, but he did repack it of course.

i'm back in the water now, and the whole thing looks pretty good and more importantly, i trust it. i'm fastidious about anything below the waterline. anything above the waterline can often be fixed whenever, but below is usually an emergency....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook