SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where are the younger people?
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013

rivorsaylor is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are the younger people?

I'm 38. Does that put me in the young or old category? I feel young and love to sail. I live in Missouri and never gave sailing a second thought until I was 28. A friend who moved to Portland, OR had just bought a 27' Catalina and was living aboard on the Columbia River. I had to go out for a visit, I stayed for a week and just fell in love with sailing. I got home from that trip and bought my first sailboat, a Hunter 19 and started trailering her to most of the lakes in the state and the Mississippi River. I now own a 25' Catalina and sail on the Mississippi River out of Portage des Sioux. This year I'm in a new marina and I think I am the youngest one there, but all the other sailors I have met so far are really friendly folks who seem to share the same passion as me. I sail with many younger people and really enjoy trying to get new folks on the boat whenever I can. I only know one friend of a friend, in his twenties, who own a sailboat. I would guess that cost, or perceived cost is the number one road block to many younger folks. It's just a matter of priorities, and for me, once I got bit, it literally changed my life. For the better. Now, I have figured out a way to take the summer/fall off of work so I can sail more. The season is just starting around here, flood waters going down and my boat, Peanut, is all ready. Life is good.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook