SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where are the younger people?
View Single Post
post #125 of Old 05-20-2013
rivorsaylor

Re: Where are the younger people?

I'm 38. Does that put me in the young or old category? I feel young and love to sail. I live in Missouri and never gave sailing a second thought until I was 28. A friend who moved to Portland, OR had just bought a 27' Catalina and was living aboard on the Columbia River. I had to go out for a visit, I stayed for a week and just fell in love with sailing. I got home from that trip and bought my first sailboat, a Hunter 19 and started trailering her to most of the lakes in the state and the Mississippi River. I now own a 25' Catalina and sail on the Mississippi River out of Portage des Sioux. This year I'm in a new marina and I think I am the youngest one there, but all the other sailors I have met so far are really friendly folks who seem to share the same passion as me. I sail with many younger people and really enjoy trying to get new folks on the boat whenever I can. I only know one friend of a friend, in his twenties, who own a sailboat. I would guess that cost, or perceived cost is the number one road block to many younger folks. It's just a matter of priorities, and for me, once I got bit, it literally changed my life. For the better. Now, I have figured out a way to take the summer/fall off of work so I can sail more. The season is just starting around here, flood waters going down and my boat, Peanut, is all ready. Life is good.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome