SailNet Community - View Single Post - Too big for a sunfish?
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road
Re: Too big for a sunfish?

Wind surfing must be fantastic. I would like to try it and a kite board. looks like it is for the young and the strong.
Try a force 5 or a laser ? Right now I have a 1967 FJ as my wet boat. I liked my sunfish or the force five better because when you capsize you can roll right back up an go. The boat is not full of water This means you are sailing not bailing. I have very little time in a laser so I can only say they look fun. The Laser has a large class.
The part about securing the mast is real good to think about. Also think about un cleating the main sheet when you capsize ! Not a big deal in a Sunfish because the main sheet has no cleat. Some boats can sail off in a hurry if you right them and the main sheet is cleated or caught up. Then you get to see how fast the boat is with less weight and how far you can swim.
I had the FJ out in some wind and waves last year. I found it is not a surf boat. The waves would wash over the swamped boat and fill it back up. The center board trunk is to close to the water line when the boat has a load of water in it.
Enjoy, lou
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook