SailNet Community - View Single Post - Runaway diesel
Thread: Runaway diesel
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Runaway diesel

Run away on oil has happened to me once.
I put too much oil in while changing it (boat wasn't level while on the hard), then on my first time out decided to test throttle to max RPM. Frothed it right up. Huge clouds of blue smoke and no throttle control all of a sudden.

The governor doesn't do a thing, it only shuts off/restricts the diesel fuel - so the engine continues to get a full load of 'fuel' from the oil froth.
The fuel shutoff (mechanical and electrical both) does exactly as much good as the governor, none.

Since it's got PLENTY of fuel there and air coming in the engine just does what it is designed to do and runs at full out to use all the fuel coming in, and of course more fuel means higher rpm.

The only way to stop it is to choke air (a rag in the intake) or decompress the engine by tripping the lever on the engine.
You'll need to recognize the condition of run away quick - spinning parts at 4000+ RPM can quickly destroy an engine.

Having had it happen to me just once was enough. I keep a rag zip tied in the the air intake area as well as a zip tie (red) on the decompression lever. It's hard enough to stick your face and hand into a engine compartment with an engine that might be exploding in seconds - doing that and then having to look around for a rag/lever doubly sucks.
knothead (05-21-2013)