SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where are the younger people?
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013

Sailnteacher77 is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are the younger people?

Hey guys!

I am a high school teacher (35) I started living aboard and cruising on a Hunter 34 when I was 23 years old. I did it for 3 years but the storms and cost drove me back to land. I have owned a few sailboats since - most recently a 37 legend and as of next week (hopefully) a Morgan 43.

My wife and I live in New York City and do all of our sailing over the summer, but we never see the city during that summer. (She works for Delta and is able to take time off when I am off). I sacrifice many things for this lifestyle - putting off having children, taking administrator positions for more money and more security, time with family and friends. I can only afford to do all work myself, so even when not cruising I am hard at work and spending money!

The only other younger cruisers I come accross are guys and gals straight out of college but with no clue what they want to do with their lives. They grab a 27-30 ft sailboat from the 70's and just go.. stopping to bartend or sell cars along the way when they run out of money.

But, that being said - I enjoy having close friends spanning 40 years in age.. keeps things interesting and makes for some great cruises!

Over all for people who are younger.. it is a road less travelled, alternative lifestyle.. I wouldn't go back and change a thing over the past 10 years, and I will keep sailing!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook