SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outboard Motor Lift Bracket: 1 Me : 0
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn
Outboard Motor Lift Bracket: 1 Me : 0

Launched and motored my re-furbished Edel to her summer marina this past Saturday.

I still need to fix some deck hardware before sailing but one thing that I know is not easily working is the spring loaded bracket to lift the outboard.

When I docked I struggled to lift and push the release bar towards the back of the motor while at the same time trying to pull the motor up. I tried running a rope through the motors front lifting handle to the release bar but the bar still would not budge. Suddenly it popped and the motor came out of the water but I have no idea what the secret muscle flex was that caused this success.

The next day I could not get it to lower without using my 2 foot crowbar to pry up the release lever. When it drops though it does so with authority.

I cannot even imagine being able to successful raise the motor while sailing. I could tilt it up a bit but it would hit the transom after a few degrees of tilt.

Is there a secret that you folks can share? Is the bracket supposed to be lubed? Are the springs to be replaced every "x" years"?

I hate to spend the summer dragging my outboard. The 8 HP Honda weighs about 90#.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook