SailNet Community - View Single Post - Making Your Boat Unsinkable
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013

CarpeAquam is on a distinguished road
Re: Making Your Boat Unsinkable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys05 View Post
...put your hatch boards in and keep your companionway hatch dogged closed. Then the only way you'll sink is if you hit something hard really hard in the wrong spot, which seems unlikely on Lake Lemon.
Good advice... BUT, she has a trailer! I will be taking trips to the great lakes and the gulf someday (hopefully soon). I don't have ocean hatches and with a pop-top, thin companionway boards, and a large cockpit opening to the storage area, I wouldn't want to rely on that by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
...you probably do not have enough volume to have it sink resisitent and a decent cabin space.
I would think that the a percent of the boat weight would be neutrally buoyant and the major factor would be the 775 lb keel. I've floated a 500lb boat lift with four 7"x2'x4' pieces of styrofoam. I would think that I could integrate enough in different spots to not lose considerable storage space but still keep it floating upright in an emergency. For instance, I would be fine with filling the front cubby under the v-berth, lining the bulkhead under the companionway, lining the storage area under the cockpit sole, and putting it in a few out of the way places.

But, how much is enough? Or am I wasting my time with the idea?

(Previously posting as LemonHead)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook