SailNet Community - View Single Post - Making Your Boat Unsinkable
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013

CarpeAquam is on a distinguished road
Re: Making Your Boat Unsinkable

Alright, I've been crunching numbers:

The boat weight 2600 lbs with a 775 lb keel so there is 1825 of fiberglass/wood. I'm going to just assume that it's all fiberglass because I don't know how much wood is there, but fiberglass has a buoyancy factor of x0.33, so 1825x0.33 would be 602.25 lbs of buoyancy needed to float it alone. The boat plus the keel would weigh 1377 lbs in the water (IF there isn't any buoyancy already built into the boat). Styrofoam floats ~60lbs/cu.ft. so I would need about 23 cu. ft. of styrofoam built into it for me to be able to fill it full of water without it sinking.

I think I could put more than that in without filling any cabin space if I filled the front locker, lined the bottom of other lockers, and used the aft storage under the cockpit. Adding foam insulation to the walls would also add buoyancy (as well as sound/heat).

I'm probably not going to do that, but this doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Am I wrong?

(Previously posting as LemonHead)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook