SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flaking the Main Sail
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: Flaking the Main Sail

before deciding on the dutchman spoke to multiple sail lofts. consensus was there is more wear on the sail from a lazyjack system then the dutchman unless you are diligent about bringing everything forward on the jacks whenever the sail is up.then they slap on the mast. also the jacks actually add more windage and complexity. have a mainyard,topping lift and the dutchman. have the top end of the dutch set up with a line that can serve as a third halyard. Also with main down can bring all the monfilament forward so it doesn't interfere with putting the trysail up. we are a couple so sailing is always taking turns single handling. like not having the main flopping around when it's raised,reefed or struck. Can replace mono yourself.just fishing line. for me it means I can drop the main for a canal,lock or other situation where it needs to be down briefly without it being a big deal. also can set up the boat before going out and then do everything myself without getting stressed. did not want to go with in boom or in mast for multiple reasons and from past experience. guess we all develop biases from past experiences