I must have missed the start of this discussion but I know I contributed to an earlier one. I have installed Ti chain-plates on my Whitby 42 and am well pleased. I have jokingly posted the following on my blog but it has an element of truth;
Titanium Chain-plates are a no-brainer for the following;
1. Rich people.
2. New boat build (especially where the chain-plates are buried - Listen up IPY.)
3. People who have to pay a "professional" $70+ an hour to remove and install the chain-plates.
4. Neurotics like me.
They are not recommended for;
1. Any boat with Baggywrinkles.
2. Any production boat under 30 ft.
3. Cruisers who price their time at 25Cents an hour and spend hours sorting old screws and dubious SS fittings into little boxes (Jim, you know who you are).