SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Horror Story
Thread: My Horror Story
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: My Horror Story

Remember: The most accurate time to check your diesel is when the engine is fully warmed up, ie after shutdown. Why? Diesel, like everything else, expands when it warms up. If you (like I used to do) fill the dipstick to the top mark when it's cold, then when it warms up, it expands and you've got too much diesel. That's why many dipsticks say "max" at the top. They mean it.

From what I've been reading, if your diesel is truly running away (which by your smoke definitions it may well be) your problems are almost certainly because there's too much oil in the oil pan.

Now is that too much lubricating oil because you fill it slightly too much?

Is it too much lubricating oil because you have the wrong dipstick (it happens)?

Or, as Bljones suggested, you have blown an internal seal because of the fuel pressure thingy and you have diesel mixed with your oil.

The third one is the easiest to diagnose. Does your oil smell like diesel? No? Good. Now, don't ever run your engine with the pressure pump running again. Bad idea for lots of reasons.

The first and second reasons can be diagnosed by completely emptying your oil pan and measuring what comes out. Measure what goes back in and be sure you have the right dipstick.

MedSailor

PS I was really there (where you are) once. I learned by doing it all myself and by jumping into the deep end. Nobody died, and I didn't break anything of anyone else's that I didn't fix. I turned out alright.... I think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook