SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tasmania - She even has a Wombat Cove!
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013

arvicola-amphibius is on a distinguished road
Re: Tasmania - She even has a Wombat Cove!

TDW my boat 'Ca Va' is currently at Prince of Wales Bay Marina which is a few miles upstream of Hobart.
It is a nearly-new marina, all-weather shelter and the manager there is quite helpful. It lacks somewhat in toilet and shower facilities and it is a fair hike to the nearest bus stop, but if you have ground transport it is an excellent place to step off. Also close by are all the paint shops, hardware stores, engineers and chandleries that you are likely to need. The sailmaker even comes to you!
The cheapest way to haul out is to join a yacht club. The membership fees of the smaller clubs are quite nominal. Just check first that the club does have its own slipway.
Mooring in a river seems to really reduce the hull fouling. Maybe the cold water? Last year I left the boat on a swing mooring at Port Huon and after an idle winter, there was just the slightest growth of weed which easily scrubbed off. I will get two full years out of the one anti-foul, though I don't think POW Bay will be as good because the water is not as clean as Port Huon.

Maybe I should not be spruiking the place so enthusiastically. It will be swamped with blow-ins and I am now so used to having anchorages all to myself....

Last edited by arvicola-amphibius; 05-23-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook