SailNet Community - View Single Post - dnf because of county police boat?
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road
Re: dnf because of county police boat?

On the Hudson River we have many police boats. This has been written up extensively in local papers such as the Times Herald Record. One guy got stopped like 8 different times crossing Newburgh Bay a few years ago, each time by a different agaency. The local talk is that any boat with women in bikinis will get stopped at least 4 times in a day.

They stop boats just because that is the job. There are damn few rescues and almost no crime. Difficult to justify a $200,000 boat and two $100,000 salaries and then put no stops on the daily report. Many LE's on these boats come off as smug and heavy handed and they probably couldn't care less about a sailboat race. They want to make a stop, they make it. Expired flares are a favorite citation on the Hudson. And if they can't find anything to write, they write something vague. I have been stopped because they " couldn't see my registration sticker" I pointed to the bow and said - its right there. Then they said they wanted to do a safety check. Mandatory. The boat could have been stopped just because they were close and caught the attention of the officers.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 05-22-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook