SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flaking the Main Sail
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Flaking the Main Sail

Funny, The UK and Quantum lofts here in Annapolis say the opposite. They have seen more issues with sails regarding Dutchman systems vs lazy jacks and ez jacks ten fold

I don't know a lot of people sailing with their lazy jacks or e z jacks deployed so sail wear is a non issue in my opinion. It would seem to me that no lines contacting the sails, such as our EZ jacks would be better for the sails then fishing line running through the sails at grommet points constantly.
No chafé vs chafe.

As far as them banging on the mast also not true, Like any other line if its properly stowed their is no issue.

We have the ez jack feature which allows them to be deployed from the cockpit so also no sweat.

We have had all three ( Dutchman, lazy, and EZ jacks) at different times and I have found that the e z jacks are the least "problem" for our boat.

Lazy jacks/ EZ jacks are a inexpensive simple main sail handling system for sailor's who have boats in the 25-43 foots range which encompasses the majority of us. Their cost is less than $250 and can even be self made.

How much would it cost to have your sail "retrofitted" for the Dutchman system even if you disregarded the chafe issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
before deciding on the dutchman spoke to multiple sail lofts. consensus was there is more wear on the sail from a lazyjack system then the dutchman unless you are diligent about bringing everything forward on the jacks whenever the sail is up.then they slap on the mast. also the jacks actually add more windage and complexity. have a mainyard,topping lift and the dutchman. have the top end of the dutch set up with a line that can serve as a third halyard. Also with main down can bring all the monfilament forward so it doesn't interfere with putting the trysail up. we are a couple so sailing is always taking turns single handling. like not having the main flopping around when it's raised,reefed or struck. Can replace mono yourself.just fishing line. for me it means I can drop the main for a canal,lock or other situation where it needs to be down briefly without it being a big deal. also can set up the boat before going out and then do everything myself without getting stressed. did not want to go with in boom or in mast for multiple reasons and from past experience. guess we all develop biases from past experiences

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook