SailNet Community - View Single Post - Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzir View Post
I am in the process of wrapping large (3" dia) foam noodles with Sunbrella for my dinghy rub rail. I am using contact cement to attach the fabric to the noodles. I slit the noodles lengthwise and used spacers to hold the edges apart while I applied contact cement to one cut edge and the rest of the noodle as well as the fabric. When the cement is ready, I attach one edge of the fabric inside the slit (the cut edge that has the cement on it) and wrap the Sunbrella tightly around the noodle. The bond is instant. After wrapping around the noodle I cut the fabric, overlapping the slit by about an inch. Then I apply contact cement to the other cut edge in the noodle and tuck the remaining fabric in. This sounds complicated but its not. The point is to completely wrap the noodle with Sunbrella with the ends tucked into the slit but without gluing the slit shut. When finished, the noodles will snap over the gunnels of my El Toro dinghy and serve as a continuous fender to protect the mother ship.

I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Henry
Chiquita
Gluing the fabric down is a great idea - saves all that sewing (which I can't do anyway!)

Just out of curiosity, why did you go to all the trouble of slitting noodles instead of simply using pipe insulation?

Also, how did you rig things up to get a straight cut from end to end? I've always found cutting any kind of tubing without having the cut wind around the tube a bit is very difficult without some sort of jig.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook