SailNet Community - View Single Post - Young people and adventure
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: Young people and adventure

Good for that 23 year old kid out on his adventure.

I think the most important part for doing something like that(if you honestly crave that adventure), is just a lack of fear.

And it's easier to be fearless when you're young(for me anyway).

We took off for the better part of a year on a 28' sailboat on the east coast and Bahamas, and had a great experience. We didn't have kids, but took our dog.

3 years later, we did have kids(2 in fact), and did a similar trip again. That was also a great experience. We had to spoil a good sail from the Bahamas and up the coast, to go into Charleston on that trip. We were out of diapers.

That was enough of that type of adventure for us. We liked it, but I found I didn't do as much sailing as I had imagined. So we've had a couple adventurous decades since, doing a lot of sailing as well, with kids.

One of my biggest life adventures has been my work. I've been lucky enough to be self employed as a design builder and have found it exciting and rewarding(and grueling at times).

That enabled me those blocks of time and funds to do them. It's also allowed me to live where I have wanted to.

We're coming full circle these days with kids in college and my wife talks about "taking off on the boat for a while". It would be a simple coastal jaunt again for a season or so, maybe include our now adult kids moving the boat as well.

I feel our adventure continues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bahamas 1990.jpg (99.0 KB, 62 views)

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook