SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Horror Story
Thread: My Horror Story
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Re: My Horror Story

While I agree with MedSailor's comment about too much oil in the pan may be the cause of the run away, I want to comment about my experience with the Perkins 4-108. I bought the boat new back in 1985 and the Perkins mechanic told me at the time to over fill the oil beyound the max reading mark on the dipstick. He showed me how much to overfill it by and explained that the max given was based on a level installation and since the boat installation had the engine at a tilt it was necassary to overfill that pan. For the past 25 plus years I've always overfilled that pan and come to think about it, I've motored into some pretty bad waves causing some pretty violent movement yet no run away which is pretty scary watching that youtube video of the runway.

One other comment is that apparently the best way to stop a runaway is by plugging up the air intake, however once that condition is apparent who would want to even get close to that engine fearing metal flying off. Or is the damage done internally and no risk of engine exploding outward? One other comment....It would seem that the air intake is limited by the diameter of the intake, etc. so should'nt the engine be designed to limit the runaway condition in the first place no matter how much fuel(oil) is there?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook