SailNet Community - View Single Post - Reefing set-up for Contessa
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Re: Reefing set-up for Contessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
I only have one reef on my Pearson 28-2. There are padeyes on the boom for two of them however, and I'd have to add a second block to use the second one (or run one of them inside the boom, it has blocks for 3 lines and I'm only using two of them, outhaul and topping lift.

The main on my Catalina 25 was held on with the type of velcro strap that Faster recommends. It works really nicely, but it is a pain to use and might be hard to transfer between sails.

If your boom has no protrusions you could tie (or splice) a bowline into the of your reefing lines and pass that over the boom. That would do the job of the padeye, require no hardware. The new owner of my Catalina 25 is experimenting with that on his reefing line and it seems to work for him.
I have a hard time seeing the bowline work with a non loose footed main. Is that what you meant? I could run the line through the clew then back to the boom with a bowline but the sail would have to feed through the bowline as I moved up in reefs? This seems cumbersome and the bowline would have to be fairly loose to allow this.

As for the velcro that's obviously simple. Why was it a pain to use? I didn't know velcro was considered proper equipment for something like this but I don't really have a problem with it. The only downside is that I thought it was attractive to head up to the mast, reef and be done. This simply adds one more step following that. Velcro is much better than trying to tie an extra line like I was doing however.

Faster, any reason I'd go to the sail loft for velcro instead of just any store?