SailNet Community - View Single Post - Howes Lubricator/Diesel treatment questions
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Howes Lubricator/Diesel treatment questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Has anyone used Howes? I've been using Star tron, but I thought I might try Howes. I noticed several other treatments specify they are safe for particulate filters in motors manufactured after 2007. Anyone know why? (my Yanmar is circa 1980). Howes claims "particulate filter friendly" Thoughts?
The new diesels (autos and trucks) have some pretty sophisticated emissions on them including filters, catalytic converters and often additives that are injected into the exhaust (add blue) and you do have to be careful of what you add to the fuel or you might be destroying some very expensive parts. I don't think any of these have made there way into boats, and certainly not really a concern for boaters with older engines, unless you want a single additive for boat and car/truck. VW/BMW/Mercedes are very strict on what they recommend in there new clean diesels and I beleive do not recommend any additives. I am looking at a new VW TDI and have done some research, but have not found any definitive answers. Howes seems to have a following in the trucking industry, but not sure if it really attacks the main concerns of a sailboat. For sailboats it is mainly growth, long term storage, condensation and sludge you are concerned with and injector cleaning is a bonus. For long haul trucks they burn through the fuel at a rather fast rate, so growth stability and sludge is not really an issue for them. Many sailors a tank of fuel lasts a few seasons rather than less than a day in a truck. So we may have different needs, not to say if Howes is good or not for a boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook